Kid Family Vacation Fun
Fun in Water
Kid friendly vacation experts find Block Island, RI one of the best places in New England for family vacations. If you've been to this island before, you know there's a familiar feeling of excitement driving down the escape road in Pt. Judith on the way to the Block Island ferry. The island and its buildings have a certain smell that stirs emotion & calls up memories of Block Island family vacations growing up. A new generation of our kids are vacationing here and looking for fun things to do. Here are the top activities not to miss.
Fun Things to Do
- Beaches Most days on Block Island are spent on the beach body surfing and building sandcastles. Island summers are warm and breezy, perfect for outdoor fun.
The Movies There are two movie theaters on the island. The Empire Theater on Water Street in Old Harbor, and Oceanwest Theater at Champlin's Marina in New Harbor. Both theaters show first run movies nightly in the summer. Rainy day matinees. Empire: 401-466-2555 -or- Oceanwest: 401-466-2971
The Block Island Maritime Institute Located at Smuggler's Cove on West Side Road in New Harbor, the center is dedicated to educating students through a variety of programs. Sailing, kayaking, diving, snorkeling, marine science and aquaculture programs and pirate's day. 401-466-7938.
Boy With Bass
The Ocean View Pavilion This non-profit organization has activities that connect children to nature. Nature walks, birding and bird banding, night sky viewing and art programs are a few of the offerings here.
- Block Island Club This Club is located on Corn Neck Road and open during the summer. Sailing and club activities such as tennis, swimming and arts & crafts for every kid is the focus here. 401-466-5939
- The Arcade No child's vacation is complete (in their eyes, anyway) without a trip (or seven) to the video arcade on Block Island. The arcade is at Champlin's Marina in New Harbor.
- Water Sports Besides the best free beaches on the East Coast, kids love all water based recreation. No beach vacation is complete without a flight with
Block Island Parasail. Snorkeling, Kayaking and Stand up Paddle boarding or a surf lesson is also fun.
Horseback Riding There's one place to go horseback riding on Block Island. Rustic Rides. Owner Tim McCabe and his guides will take you on a great trail ride right on the beach! Very kid friendly. Ponies for the children. The farm is located up on the West Side of the island but don't worry, Tim has a taxi and if you call him, he'll pick you up. 401-466-5060. Hour long trail rides from $45.
Abrams Animal Farm Nestled right next to the historic and majestic Hotel Manisses is an animal farm. Very close to town on Spring Street, this farm has camels, llamas, emus and even a kangaroo.
- Playgrounds & Parks Block Island's only skate park is the Ian Kortbek Memorial Skate Park. Find it at the Ball O'Brien Park on West Side Road. It's free. There's also a swing set and jungle gym for the younger kids in your family. For the bigger kids there's basketball & tennis.
Champlin's Marina Champlin's is one of the most family friendly places on island. You do not have to have your boat at the marina to enjoy most of the amenities. This is a great place for a kid. Free outdoor barbecues and picnic tables, video arcade, a restaurant and snack bar, pool, daily entertainment by the pool or at the tiki bar at the end of the dock, state of the art playground. For a fee you can ride the bumper boats, rent sailboats or kayaks or play tennis. *recently the pool has only allowed guests with boats in the marina.
- Charter Fishing Learn to fish. Catch the biggest striped bass. Take a charter trip and see what you can catch. Block Island has several charter boats, captains & beach guides.
Surfing Rent a surfboard and head to the beach. The east beaches have good waves to learn on, especially across from the Beachead Beachead restaurant. The Diamond Blue surf shop on the corner of Dodge Street and Corneck Road rents surf boards, boogie boards and paddle boards.
The Library Located on Dodge Street in town. The Children's Librarian has many free activities planned. Great for rainy days. 401-466-3233
Good to Know
There are more activities listed on our "things to do" section. Our island has many hidden treasures....read more